Sunday, February 24, 2013

Are this year’s Oscars more anticlimactic than previous years?



I like to watch the Oscars – most of the time.

Sure, I find the ceremony boring at times – there really are too many televised categories – and if I don’t have a dog in the fight for best picture, I’m usually less inclined to watch until the end.

Still, there’s something fun about watching Hollywood’s elite get dressed up for the evening and pretend not to be mad when they lose an award to someone else.

This year I have seen most of the nominated films – so I’m not behind the curve on that front – and I’m really interested in the best actress category (I can’t decide if I want Jennifer Lawrence or Jessica Chastain to win). And yet, still, I’m not all that excited about the Oscars.

Why?

First off, I’ve already decided that I’m switching over to watch ‘The Walking Dead’ live during the ceremony. I will watch the beginning of the show and the end of the show – but I can’t wait to watch ‘The Walking Dead’ tonight. Not only is Merle reuniting with the people he just tortured, but Andrea will meet up with the people she thought abandoned her – right after The Governor dropped a walker bomb on them. That’s just good television.

Second, while I find Seth MacFarlane entertaining – I’m guessing he’s going to be kept on a short leash (and I’m predicting at least one ‘Ted’ appearance). The Oscars are too staid to really let a funny comic do what he wants. They should stick with safer choices – like Billy Crystal.

Third, while I liked ‘Argo,’ ‘Silver Linings Playbook,’ ‘Lincoln’ and ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ -- I didn’t fall in love with any of them to the point where I will be disappointed if one of them fails to win. They’re all good, but they weren’t my favorite movies of the year. That honor goes to ‘The Avengers.’ Sue me, that movie was all kinds of awesome.

Fourth, the Academy really should cut down on some of the televised categories – because there are a whole pile of them that no one cares about. Okay, the people competing in the fields care – but they’re the only ones.

Finally, I honestly don’t think there will be that many surprises in this year’s ceremony. Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz and Anne Hathway appear to have three of the big four awards sewn up. Sure, there’s always a chance that Robert De Niro and Sally Field will sneak in for a nostalgic win – but that probably won’t happen.

The only real toss-up is the best actress category – where I’m genuinely torn. Chastain and Lawrence were both amazing this year – and it would be great if they could tie – but I’m guessing that Lawrence is going to walk away with the award. ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ was just too dark for some people.

So, in the end, I’m excited to see the dresses and the best actress category – but I’m more excited to see ‘The Walking Dead.’

Anyone else think this year’s Oscars are going to be boring?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home