Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Unbaby.me allows Facebook users to eradicate glut of infant photos


I don’t know who came up with the concept of Unbaby.me – but whoever did was brilliant.

For those that haven’t heard, Unbaby.me is a new Facebook app that lets users substitute the never ending stream of baby photos that clog up their news feed with something more – um -- stimulating.

Essentially, the way the app works, is to search through your news feed for a variety of different terms, like “cutest baby ever” or “baby’s first string beans” or something similar.

Users can then select photos that will appear in place of the baby photos – whether it be a Hollywood star, athlete, outdoor nature scene or even bacon. Yep, I said bacon.

While Facebook has been great at letting people keep in touch with old high school and college friends, it has also become a dumping ground for pictures of their kids.

There are photos of the kids eating breakfast, sitting in the middle of the floor, picking their nose, etc.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I get a little irritated at the 40 photos of the same baby that appear daily in my news feed.

And, here’s a little tip, no one cares about your baby as much as you care about your baby. No one else thinks it’s the cutest baby in the world. That’s a thought that’s unique to you. Yeah, I said it.

Unbaby.me is such a good idea that it started me thinking about other apps I’d like to see. If anyone can get on the following, I would greatly appreciate it:

* No one cares what you’re eating: This is for those annoying individuals that think I want to see photos of their eggs and bacon, venison stew or sushi every day. I don't.

* This is not a pity party: This is for those individuals that post sob stories on Facebook and then get off on the sympathy their friends ply them with.

* Stop playing games and read a book: This is for those that clog up my news feed with whatever farm animal they’re feeding, tree they’re growing or bubble they're bursting. Those 20 messages a day prove one thing to me – you need to read more. If you’re going to play a game, play a real video game.

* When did you become a fortune cookie: This will block those “inspiring” platitudes and quote book posts that serve no purpose but to help you scratch your head. You know, like "Fear is not an option."

* Political fights are juvenile: I’m guilty of this one – and I find myself annoying when I do it. You’re not going to change someone else’s mind on Facebook. So why do we argue again?

* Music is for radios: Sure, it’s great when there’s one song you haven’t heard in awhile and you want to share it. Fifteen in a row is another story. I don’t care how many times you try and force it on me, I’m not going to like Justin Bieber.

What do you think? What Facebook apps would you like to see created?


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant!
I also use this extension to filter all the videos on my newsfeed: http://goo.gl/mqLjf

August 8, 2012 at 8:49 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home