Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dallas ends terrific freshman season Wednesday


I was skeptical when I first heard they were going to reboot ‘Dallas.’

In general, I think reboots are a terrible idea.

That ad campaign with everyone in the shower didn’t do anything to make me believe the show was going to be anything but vapid and listless, either.

What TNT did right, though, was blend the old with the new.

Sure, the main focus of the show was four young and pretty newbies in various stages of undress. The three veteran adults, Bobby (Patrick Duffy), Sue Ellen (Linda Gray) and JR (Larry Hagman) evened out the cast though and weighed it down with a bit of gravitas.

And Brenda Strong's Ann added a new layer of intrigue for the older set.

The central theme of ‘Dallas’ has always been family. Sure, most of the time that family is in the midst of an all out war, but still, when the chips were down the Ewings always came together.

That’s no different now.

Sure, Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) and John Ross (Josh Henderson) have some deep issues where the other is concerned. They still love each other, though. I think they both long to be closer as well. It's just that their pride won't let them compromise.

I’m still not convinced Metcalfe is a good actor. I think the best I can say about him is that he’s not terrible.

Henderson, though, swaggered in and stole every scene he was in – even when pitted against the veterans. He made viewers believe that he WAS JR Ewing’s son.

The central love triangle between Christopher, John Ross and Elena (Jordana Brewster) is interesting – if played out. I think the writers are trying to build up Christopher and Elena as star-crossed lovers. I like her with John Ross, though.

Wednesday’s season finale involves a health crisis and a long-buried secret. It also comes way too soon.

‘Dallas’ took me by surprise and became must-see television pretty quickly this summer. Last week’s surprising installment showed even more character development – although I still don’t like Rebecca.

‘Dallas’ has already been renewed for a second season so the Ewings will be back next summer to heat things up in the bedroom and the boardroom.

I think, as long as the show runners continue to utilize veterans and newcomers, they might have a winning combination for years to come.

What do you think? Are you going to miss ‘Dallas’?

1 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Smoke and Mirrors said...

Fun reboot. I especially enjoyed the reveal about Rebeccca at the very end, and I liked seeing Ann all bada$$ with her ex. Looking forward to the return of Dallas in January.

August 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home