Saturday, January 19, 2013

General Hospital’s veteran brigade



Say what you want about the writing regime at ‘General Hospital,’ but they’re sparking a lot of chatter lately

Sure, everything on the show isn’t great.

We’re still mired in the world’s worst multiple personality storyline – and we’re being inundated with three newbies that don’t belong on our screen (Ellie, Sabrina, Dr. Britt) – but we’re also basking in some big name returns and a reduction in mob stories.

On the heels of news last week that Genie Francis would be returning, this week we got confirmation that Jon Lindstrom (Kevin), Kin Shrine (Scotty) and Jack Wagner (Frisco) would also be returning to pay homage to GH’s 50th anniversary.

Granted, Frisco’s return probably won’t be anything extended, but I can’t wait to see Maxie tear into her absentee father. That’s a conversation that should have been held a long time ago – and I still can’t fathom how Frisco can justify missing the entire lives of both his daughters.

Kin Shriner’s return is bound to play into the Luke and Laura reunion – whatever that might be. I have no idea if they’ll go forward with an actual romance for daytime’s most famous couple – or if they have something else planned. Frankly, I’m excited by the fact that I can just dream multiple scenarios at this point.

Lindstrom’s return, though, actually holds a lot of potential. Not only is he coming to town to see why Lucy is cracking up (more on the vampire debacle in a second), but I’m guessing there’s going to be some sort of interaction between him and Sam.


For those that don’t remember, Lindstrom played Livvie’s father on ‘Port Charles.’ Livvie was played by Kelly Monaco – who currently plays Sam. Since GH is doing all these nods to the vampires on ‘Port Charles,’ don’t be surprised if we find out Kevin is Sam’s long missing father.

On a side note, I would have been perfectly happy if they had ignored the fact that Lucy used to hunt vampires. The story feels forced -- and no fun what-so-ever.

The Sam father mystery is one of those stories that people thought would be addressed years ago. I’m sure the “facts” about Sam’s conception might have to be altered, slightly, to fit around Kevin’s past – but I can see GH going there. I could also see Alexis mistaking Kevin for his brother, Ryan, and perhaps Ryan is Sam’s father – but that’s pure conjecture on my part.

I’ve always thought Stavros was Sam’s father – and that he raped Alexis. I figured Sam being a product of incest explained all the boneheaded moves she made over the years, but I digress.

I could actually get behind Kevin being Sam’s father – especially if it keeps Lindstrom on the canvas for awhile. Since Kevin is a psychiatrist, maybe he can cure Kate while he is in town, as well (hey, a girl can dream).

Even though I’m thrilled with all these returns, I have to wonder how GH is going to fit everyone on the canvas. Yes, I know that Wagner is only doing a few episodes, and we have no idea how long Shriner will be around, but Anna and Duke have spent the last few weeks being ignored in favor of a grown woman crying about her crush being with someone else, the human prop Ellie being firmly placed in between Maxie and Spinelli and multiple personality Kate wandering around getting into accidents and losing a son she was always mean to. There is dead weight that can be cut.

Either way, I can’t tell you how excited I am to see some of my former faves return to the canvas. Now, if only they could entice Kimberly McCullough back full time.

What do you think? Are you excited about the returns?

Note: I'm sorry for originally spelling it Lidstrom. As a Detroit sports reporter, I think my brain is hardwired for the hockey player we just lost.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Quit using the word canvas, try screen they ain't painting a picture you kno'.....

January 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM 
Blogger Tawna said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM 
Blogger Tawna said...

His name is LINDSTROM not Lidstrom.

January 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM 
Blogger krazyrabbit said...

Was a fan of "Port Charles" and am hoping that the current story will tie up the "is it or isn't it" situation. I could care less if the entire Caleb/Livvie supernatural PC world was created in Lucy's head - just acknowledge it. It doesn't make sense to have Lucy, Kevin, Scott and a few other General Hospital characters ignore the fact that John McBain and Sam look just like characters that existed in the Port Charles universe. I love it that the current writers are respecting the past and that many veteran characters are returning - especially Kevin and Scott.

January 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home