Saturday, December 29, 2012

Steve Burton is going to CBS -- what does this mean for 'General Hospital'



The hearts of soap fans everywhere were broken this week when news leaked that former ‘General Hospital’ heartthrob Jason Morgan would be heading to ‘Young and the Restless.’

The news came as a surprise to a lot of people, mostly because when Burton quit the soap that had made him famous – and been his home for more than two decades – a few months ago, he said he wanted to spend more time with his family in Nashville.

To be fair, though, there were rumors of this very thing happening months ago.

Jill Farren-Phelps, executive producer for Y&R, is the former executive producer for GH. She is, in a lot of ways, responsible for Burton’s character Jason Morgan taking over the entire soap.

Reportedly, Farren-Phelps and Burton are quite close. It hasn’t been confirmed which role Burton will be taking over – but most people believe it will be Avery’s ex.

From what I’ve been seeing on message boards, Burton’s fans aren’t exactly taking the news well.
A lot of them are mad because they believe he lied to them.

Others are mad because they believe he abandoned them.

Ironically, a lot of GH fans are sending Y&R fans their condolences – but more on that in a minute.

The truth is, Burton doesn’t owe anyone anything. If he thinks a move to Y&R is what is best for him and his family – then more power to him.

I’ve seen a lot of people dreaming up conspiracy theories about Burton being mad about his cut in airtime under the new GH regime and only agreeing to go to Y&R if he’ll be the lead.

While I don’t doubt Burton probably wasn’t happy with the cut in his airtime, I do doubt that he’s going to get as much airtime as others seem to be theorizing on Y&R for one simple reason: Eric Braeden.

Braeden is a notorious, um, tool (for lack of a better word). He doesn’t get along with most people and he won’t sit idly by and let Burton supplant him. It’s not in his nature. (Note: On Twitter, he denied even knowing who Burton was)

For Jason Morgan fans that are despondent over this development, I want to remind them that Y&R is notorious for signing big name talent and then cutting them loose a few months down the road. Just ask Maura West, Genie Francis, Tristan Rogers and Eden Riegel.

I’m not saying that I think Burton will be cut – especially since Farren-Phels and him are so close – but I don’t necessarily believe he’ll be on the show for the long haul either.

I should point out, to my knowledge, there has been no confirmation about the length of the contract Burton signed with Y&R either. It could be a short-term gig.

Finally, as a GH fan, I have to side with the snarky posters that are offering Y&R fans their condolences.

I think Burton is talented – when he wants to be. I thought he was wonderful in ‘The Last Castle’ and ‘Taken.’ He was also strong in the first five years – or so – of his GH run.

Over the past 15 years, though, Jason Morgan has become a character I despite. I have nothing against Burton, mind you, he seems like a genuinely nice guy. But Jason Morgan is another story.

Jason Morgan was a thug in angel’s clothing – and I couldn’t stand the way GH elevated Saint Jason of the Docks.

The best thing that ever happened to GH was Burton leaving – and the killing off of Jason.

I’ve seen some fans shift their attention to recasting Jason – but I think that would be a mistake at this point.

Jason isn’t important on the canvas right now. He’s not needed. Why not just sit back and wait and see how Burton’s tenure on Y&R goes before making a big decision. Nothing has to be decided right away.

Quite frankly, I hope Burton succeeds on Y&R – because that means he won’t be returning to GH in the near future. Does that make me snarky? So be it.

What do you think? Are you glad Burton signed with Y&R or are you devastated?

5 Comments:

Blogger SaveOurSuds said...

It’s not surprising that fans are feeling a bit snarky about this news. I am curious about what role he will play on Y&R though. I have a hard time picturing him on that show.

December 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM 
Blogger Pat said...

After my original anger and disappointment, I realized that Steve Burton has a right to work where he wishes. I wish it were at GH. I won't follow him to his new gig.

I was hoping that TPTB at GH would wait to recast Jason to give Steve time to reconsider his leaving, but now, I would like to see Jason recast right away. I'd love to see a rivalry between Jason and AJ. That is quite a history that they have.

December 30, 2012 at 8:55 PM 
Blogger Kristin G said...

I have been an on/off viewer of GH for as long as I can remember. I loved the character of Jason Morgan in the 90's but during Bob Guza and Jill Farren-Phelps's reign, he was a terrible self-righteous jerk. I had zero investment in any of his stories. Don't even get me started on Sam McCall prior to this year.

But then the new EP and head writer took over and all of a sudden I was into GH again. And into Jason's story. I was sad when Burton left and wondered what GH would be like without him. And you know what? I don't miss him. So good luck to Mr. Burton on Y&R. Condolences to the fans of that show unless they have an excellent head writer (which considering the commentary on the 'webs, they do not.)

I would welcome a recast Jason if it means a great story. In fact, I think a recast Jason with his Quartermaine memories back and none of Jason Morgan would be pretty awesome.

December 31, 2012 at 12:54 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

IT is up to Steve he is a great actor he will do well if this is true.

December 31, 2012 at 3:49 PM 
Blogger Kimberly said...

I hope Burton goes back to Gh but I'm happy for him being on y&r

April 6, 2013 at 5:37 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home