Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Get out of the fog! Silent Hill returns for some scary fun



In general, I’m not a fan of movies based on video games.

I can count on one hand how many are decent.

I can count on a unicorn’s horn how many are great.

Still, there are a handful of video game movies that I actually enjoy. I don’t think they’re perfect, mind you, but I’m one of those people that can enjoy a movie despite its flaws.

‘Silent Hill: Revelation’ hits theaters tonight – just in time for Halloween – and I’m actually looking forward to it.

The thing is, ‘Silent Hill: Revelation’ is probably not going to be a great horror movie. Of course, there hasn’t been one great horror movie released this entire season – so this film can actually be called quality entertainment when you compare it to things like ‘Paranormal Activity 4.’

I should point out that ‘Silent Hill’ is my favorite horror video game franchise. Why do I like ‘Silent Hill’? Well, in certain instances the game has actually given me the creeps. I like the foggy atmosphere of a town cut off from humanity. I like the radio that plays loud static when something terrible gets closer. I actually like most of the story lines in the games as well.

See, while I am a fan of gore, I don’t enjoy playing games like ‘Resident Evil’ – mostly because they’re purely about the kill.

‘Silent Hill’ has plenty of kills – it just has a lot of puzzles and creepy ambiance to go with it.

In the first ‘Silent Hill’ movie, which was released in 2006, Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) got lost in the abandoned town while she was looking for her adopted daughter Sharon. While Rose was introduced to the horrors of Silent Hill, her husband Christopher Da Silva (Sean Bean) was looking for her in the “real” world.

To say the first ‘Silent Hill’ movie was great would be a big, fat lie. Still, there was adequate ambiance, solid performances and some solid nods to game play that only a true fan could appreciate.

This second installment is a little more interesting. First off, it was caught in development hell for years. I was actually surprised when they moved forward with releasing it.

At the center of this ‘Silent Hill’ is Heather Mason (a character from the video games) who comes to town looking for her father Harry – who is also played by Sean Bean. Confusing, yes I know.

Mitchell reprises her role in the film, Malcolm McDowell and Carrie-Ann Moss sign up for the new installment and, in a case of inspired casting, Kit Harrington also comes out for some nightmarish fun.

Why is that important? It’s not really. It’s just cool for ‘Game of Thrones’ fans to see Bean and Harrington reunite in another world with a lot of beheadings.

I’ve tried to remain spoiler-free on this ‘Silent Hill.’ This isn’t a franchise that is going to deliver 
some profound ending – I know that.

Still, of all the horror movies offered this season, the only one that’s piqued my interest even a little is ‘Silent Hill.’

Bring on the fog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home