Saturday, October 20, 2012

Older television titles that need to come to DVD



I get nostalgic for older television shows sometimes.

Sometimes I’m in the mood for a little ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer.’ Other days I want to watch ‘Little House on the Prairie.’

At least both those titles are available on DVD or Blu-Ray.

The truth is, most of the television I loved – even while growing up – is available for purchase.

I’ve got a very eclectic DVD collection. I have mainstream stuff like ‘Lost’ and I’ve got obscure stuff like ‘Alien Nation.’

Still, I couldn’t help but get a little giddy when I got a notification by email this week that ‘The Young Riders’ season three would be available for purchase in November (and for less than $12 for the entire season).

‘The Young Riders’ was one of those shows that I absolutely loved as a teenager. It was a western featuring a cast of young up-and-comers at the time – including Steven Baldwin, Josh Brolin, Brett Cullin and Melissa Leo - -and revolving around the Pony Express.

The first season of ‘The Young Riders’ was produced seven years ago. When seasons two and three didn’t follow in subsequent years, fans pretty much gave up on ever completing their sets.


TGG has picked up the rights to the set, though, and not only are they reissuing season one, but they’re releasing season three and a 24-hour marathon from all three seasons. All three sets will be available in November.

So where is season two? It’s coming. I guess they’re still working out a few clearance issues – but that set should be hitting DVD within the next few months as well.

That really only leaves me with the third season of ‘Seaquest’ to complete my old television collection. I’m not sure I’ll ever see that, though. Oh, and ‘My Two Dads’ season three – which is owned by Shout Factory.

That got me to thinking, though.

There are a lot of shows that have either never debuted on DVD – or never got a full release.

For example, sitcom ‘Growing Pains’ has only seen two seasons released on DVD. ‘The Facts of Life’ has only made it to season five – that’s long before George Clooney joins the cast for those that are wondering. Likewise, ‘Family Ties’ stopped at season five – which was released in 2009.

The classic ‘A Different World’ only got a one season release. That’s long before the all-important Dwayne and Whitley years. It’s a shame that a whole new generation of people won’t get to see that show – because it was really something.

Most of the time, it is the music rights that hold back a series. That’s what’s holding back the much beloved ‘The Wonder Years,’ for example. 
 
Some shows, like ‘Tour of Duty’ replaced the music from their original runs. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love ‘Tour of Duty’ – but it’s not the same without the original music.

Still, at this point, I’ll take what I can get with a lot of these shows.

Quite frankly, I had given up on getting the rest of ‘The Young Riders.’ Everything else – from this point on – is gravy.

What would you like to see on DVD that hasn’t made it yet?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home