Saturday, December 1, 2012

How many bodies will The Walking Dead drop as it races towards midseason?



I love the smell of rotting corpses in the morning.

At least when they’re surrounded by compelling drama and characters that continue to evolve and grow – that is.

Sunday marks the mid-season finale of ‘The Walking Dead’ and I have to say – this is my favorite season so far.

 I know a lot of people complained (read: whined incessantly) about the slower pace on the farm last season. I, for one, liked the pacing. I liked the deliberate growing pains the group took as they fully began to understand that this wasn’t the same world anymore.

If I liked last season, though, I am loving this season.
From the very opening shot, season three has made viewers a promise: This is a whole new world.

Not only do we have the return of Merle, but we also have the introduction of two of the most compelling characters currently on television: The Governor and Michonne.

We also saw the demise of T-Dog and Lori -- both of which were expected, but not quite as early as they transpired.

So, what should we expect from Sunday’s finale?

For one, it looks like Daryl at least sees Merle. Show runners have been coy about whether they will actually interact or not. I’m guessing that maybe that will be the cliffhanger, Merle and Daryl coming to face-to-face. I would imagine that Daryl is going to have to make a choice at some point – his brother or the group. If fans weren’t already in love with Daryl, they would be head over heels for him the minute he chooses his new “family” and abandons the old.

Secondly, I’m curious how Andrea is going to interact with the people she feels abandoned her. She’s got a certain bitter streak running through her. Still, she’s never shown herself to be truly vindictive. I can’t imagine she’ll remain on board for all the Governor’s machinations when she finds out how evil he truly is.

Speaking of the Governor, he may think he’s working from a position of strength – but I don’t believe it for a second. His “soldiers” aren’t anywhere near as capable – or trained – as Rick’s little posse. When you add Michonne in to Rick’s mix? Whew honey, the Governor better have an exit plan.

Anyone that watches ‘The Talking Dead’ knows that Michonne meets what she thinks is a little girl in distress this week. Viewers know that is really the Governor’s daughter – Penny. Michonne has proven that she has no qualms about ending walkers – any walkers. Something makes me think the Governor isn’t going to take the beheading of his kid very well.

We also have to take Rick’s mental health into consideration. He spent an entire episode talking to his dead wife on a phone that didn’t even work while Daryl took care of his family. He seems to be back to his old self now, but we can’t rule out another fall – especially if something happens back at the prison while he’s gone.

Finally, I don’t expect Merle to survive the season. I would be genuinely surprised if he died this quickly – but that didn’t stop the show runners from literally gutting Lori and making T-Dog a zombie snack. I think the true moment for Daryl is going to be when he finds out what Merle did to Glen. I think the best drama this show can put forth is Daryl actually killing his brother -- but we'll have to wait and see.

Any way you look at it, though, I’m already looking forward to the second part of the third season. Too bad the wait is so long.

What do you think? What do you think will happen in the mid-season finale of ‘The Walking Dead’?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home