Friday, July 12, 2013

INDIE BOOK REVIEW: 'The Dead Passages' has great science fiction premise



I think a lot of people have dreamed up “discovering” a special section of their local bookstore that is even more magical than fiction itself.

In Dennis Butler’s ‘The Dead Passages,’ that’s just what Tim discovers in a roped-off upstairs area.

At first, the books in the upstairs don’t seem all that special. They’re not particularly well-written. They’re not particularly engaging. They don’t really stand out at all.

As Tim continues to read, though, he realizes he’s being pulled into the story – and he starts to question his own courage. I don't want to give you too many spoilers about what's going on with the books -- because I think that will ruin it for more readers.

At its heart, ‘The Dead Passages’ is about the eternal dilemma of doing the right thing or doing the safe thing.

The story really does start out with a bang – but as a reader, I started to get a little bored with the story at times.

I thought about it for a long time and I realized it’s because Tim isn’t exactly the best narrator. He’s not a terrible narrator, but I just couldn’t engage with him.

I think, as a reader, you tend to relate to characters you identify with – or see a little bit of yourself in. I saw nothing in Tim that I could relate to. He was just sort of “blah” to me.

Still, despite my trouble engaging with Tim, ‘The Dead Passages’ is a pretty good book. It’s written with a purposeful tone – and the narrative doesn’t meander off-course too often.

It is an indie, and there are a few typos – but they’re not so terrible that they yank you out of the story.

‘The Dead Passages’ is available on Kindle for .99.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home